Saturday 7 June 2014

I won't be running for Council

As a campaign manager I've said to Council wannabes in a few cities that you have to door to door knock if  you want a chance of winning. When I ran for Mayor last time I was out knocking for a day and was unable to walk for a few days. Two and a half years later, it was obvious to me that any door to door campaigning was impossible for me. I've been fighting Vet's Canada declaring me "incapacitated." I tried to think I could think around my disabilities but the increasing amount of pain I was dealing with was proving to be too much.

As a disabled military vet forced into early retirement by my disability, I live on a small fixed income which at least has grown with the Tory Govt's Veteran's Charter. Enough that depriving myself a few things I could have had about a $6000 campaign budget. But as I was advance ordering some North Shore News ads to to the first to buy some really good placements in November, the act of having to take the first $1500 out of my wallet caused me my Scottish blood to rebel and rethink my actions.  It took a few days tossing it around in my mind to come to the logical conclusion. There's no point in running.  I wrote to one old political friend that "I'm think I'll see 60 years of age but I doubt I'll see 70".  I have no time for a multi-election strategy and without a big lottery win, I won't have the spending required to win in 2014. 

Also I what I wanted to say in this blog and say to voters on the street was going to be inhibited by becoming a candidate and with my strength as a researcher of boring bureaucracy and government acts and regulations, I have a few things to reveal.  I have some things to say about the illegal activities of VOICES.

So I will continue as an Unite North Van board member and they will decide UNV's future but not become a candidate next fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment