Tuesday 9 September 2014

I guess some people do read this blog

Last night at Council while waiting for them to come back from their in-camera session, a gentleman in front in the gallery informed a few of us that there would be 17 people running for Councillor.

I explained that there could not be a list of official candidates as nominations did not open until the 30th of September but he said that his partner had seen a list online.

I was about to use my usual retort, "You saw it on the internet, so it must be true" when I realized that he was talking about one of my posts on this blog.  Blogger tells me I get 200 to 300 views when I do articles but other than Councillors, Council Watchers and other "inside Hockey" people.  I had never seen evidence that normal voters did read these articles.  Of course, his partner could be preparing to run against me for Mayor so maybe an inside Hockey person.

6 months ago I had thought there would be 30 people running with 5 more running for Mayor.

"Team Mussatto" should be running 4 as I've heard they think one of the reasons they think they have not taken a majority on Council is that they have run to many candidates in prior elections.  I think if they ran under an elector org name on the ballot like Vision North Van, the direct tie on the ballot to all the voters would give the victory they've wanted for a decade.  I think Cheryl Leia will be their 4th as she was short by 154 votes last time and just missed being on Council.

VOICES should be running 4 as well with three for certain, 2 VOICES Councillors and union candidate Amanda Nichol.  Not they will admit this publicly.

Two independents will run who VOICES will try to co-opt Don Bell and Tony Valente and 4 other independents will run Scott Clark, Iani Makris, Dorothy Bell and Bill Bell.

 And of course, there will be COPE's Ron Sostad so that is 14 candidates.  Lots of other possibles and we could reach that 30+5 level.  The reality is all it takes to register and run is two signatures but it takes 3000 votes to get on Council.  So pissed about the Low Level Road, power lines, the condition of the roads, run for Mayor!  Kerry, Darrel and I would love the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment